Enrolling In FYW classes
What are the FYW classes?
- 1004/0102: Preparation for College Writing
- 101: Writing as Inquiry
- 195H: Writing as Inquiry (for honors students)
Click here for information regarding placement into FYW courses
How do I enroll in a full class?
- The Department of Writing, Rhetoric, and American Cultures does not permit class sizes over 24 students for WRA 1004 or 27 students for WRA 101, regardless of the classroom size or any other circumstances. Your professor does not have the ability to "override" this cap. There are no exceptions.
If I am taking an ESL course, may I also enroll in WRA?
- No, your ESL course must be completed prior to enrollment in WRA. The university's tracking code system will keep you from enrolling in both ESL and WRA at the same time.
Transferring Credits from Another Institution
I thought I'd completed my first-year writing requirement at another institution, but my writing class (or classes) transferred in only as UGC (University General Credit), and now I'm told I still need to take First-Year writing at MSU. Why?
- The writing course (or courses) you took were evaluated as not delivering sufficient credit to fulfill our first-year writing experience, or they were assessed as not alignment with the learning objectives of our First-Year Writing course (WRA).
Who do I contact if I want my transfer credits reevaluated?
- Contact the Director of First-Year Writing, Dr. Bump Halbritter or the Assistant Director of FYW, Dr. Joyce Meier.
Who do I contact if I have an issue with my professor?
- All issues should first be addressed with your professor. If an issue cannot be resolved by working with your professor, contact the First-Year Writing Program administrator, Dr. Bump Halbritter.
I need to meet with a writing professor or the writing program administrator. How do I schedule an appointment?
- All faculty keep their own schedule, so contact them directly to schedule an appointment. Their contact information is available on the Faculty page.