First-Year Writing Frequently Asked Questions
We’re excited to meet you and work with you this spring semester 2022 in one of our First-Year Writing (FYW) courses, designed to help you transition to MSU and to university-level writing.
Please note that our main office (235 Bessey Hall) will be CLOSED and staffed remotely during the first three weeks of spring semester 2022. Please see the info below first, and, if need be, our contact page; please reach out to us by phone or email with any questions you may have.
We’ve included a list below of some fairly common questions students have about enrollment in FYW (WRA 0102/1004, WRA 101, or WRA 195H). We hope these are helpful! Please note that we do not provide overrides into already full sections.
- If you are experiencing difficulties enrolling in a section of WRA 1004/0102 or WRA 101 that has seats available, please contact Yvette Puga (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If you are trying to switch from one section of WRA 101 to another that has seats available for spring 2022 and you are not able to do so yourself, please contact Yvette Puga (email@example.com).
- If you have accidentally dropped or been dropped from your WRA 101 course and need to be re-enrolled, please contact Yvette Puga (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If you have questions about the content, focus, and goals of MSU’s First-Year Writing program, please see https://wrac.msu.edu/about-first-year-writing/, and/or contact Professor Julie Lindquist, Director of First-Year Writing (email@example.com).
- If you have questions about transferring in first-year writing classes or credits, please first see https://transfer.msu.edu/, where you can see how a course taken elsewhere transfers to MSU. If you still have questions, please contact Professor Julie Lindquist, Director of FYW (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If you want to take WRA 101 in fall 2022 instead of this spring, please schedule an appointment with or otherwise get in touch with your academic advisor to discuss how this change might impact your overall schedule and progress to degree.
- If you wish to enroll in one of our WRA 195H Honors sections, please contact the director of Honors advising, Christine Raisanen (email@example.com).
- If you are having difficulty enrolling in WRA 101 or WRA 195H because the system says you have “duplicate credits,” this might be because you have AP (Advanced Placement) credit, have fulfilled the first-year writing requirement at MSU, and are not required to take an MSU first-year writing course. Please see https://wrac.msu.edu/placement/ for more information and if you have questions, please contact Professor Julie Lindquist, Director of FYW (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If the information above does not address a question you have, please reach out to Professor Julie Lindquist, Director of FYW (email@example.com).