Frequently Asked Questions

Start of the Semester Questions, Fall 2021

We’re excited to meet you and work with you this fall semester 2021 in one of our First-Year Writing (FYW) courses, designed to help you transition to MSU and to university-level writing.

We’ve included a list below of some fairly common questions students have about enrollment in FYW (WRA 0102/1004, WRA 101, or WRA 195H). We hope these are helpful! Please note that we do not provide overrides into already full sections. 

  • If you have accidentally dropped or been dropped from your WRA 101 course and need to be re-enrolled, contact Professor Joyce Meier, Associate Director of FYW (

  • If you are trying to switch from one section of WRA 101 to another for fall 2021 contact Professor Joyce Meier, Associate Director of FYW (

  • If you have questions about the content, focus, and goals of MSU’s First-Year Writing program, please see, and/or contact Professor Julie Lindquist, Director of First-Year Writing.

  • If you have questions about transferring in first-year writing classes or credits, please first see, where you can see how a course taken elsewhere transfers to MSU. If you still have questions, please see Professor Joyce Meier, Associate Director of FYW (

  • If you want to take WRA 101 in spring 2022 instead of this fall, please schedule an appointment with or otherwise get in touch with your academic advisor to discuss how this change might impact your overall schedule and progress to degree.

  • If you wish to enroll in one of our 195H Honors sections, please contact the director of Honors advising, Christine Raisanen (

  • If you are having difficulty enrolling in WRA 101 or WRA 195H because the system says you have “duplicate credits,” this might be because you have AP (Advanced Placement) credit, have fulfilled the first-year writing requirement at MSU, and are not required to take an MSU first-year writing course. Please see for more information.

 If the information above does not address a question you have, please reach out to Professor Joyce Meier ( 

Enrolling In FYW classes

What are the FYW classes?

Click here for information regarding placement into FYW courses

How do I enroll in a full class?

  • It is not possible to enroll in a FYW section that is full. The Department of Writing, Rhetoric, and American Cultures does not permit class sizes over 24 students, regardless of the classroom size or any other circumstances. Your professor does not have the ability to “override” this cap. There are no exceptions.

If I am taking an ESL course, may I also enroll in a FYW, WRA course?

  • No, your ESL course must be completed prior to enrollment in WRA. The university’s tracking code system will keep you from enrolling in both ESL and WRA at the same time.

Transferring Credits from Another Institution

I thought I’d completed my first-year writing requirement at another institution, but my writing class (or classes) transferred in only as UGC (University General Credit), and now I’m told I still need to take First-Year Writing at MSU. Why?

  • The writing course (or courses) you took was evaluated as not delivering sufficient credit to fulfill our First-Year Writing experience, or it was assessed as not aligning with the learning objectives of our First-Year Writing course (WRA 101).

Who do I contact if I want my transfer credits to be reevaluated?

Other FAQs 

Can I do an Honors Option in WRA 101?

  • Yes. The following procedures have been copied from the MSU Honors College website. WRA specific policies are noted in [bold with square brackets]:
    • Talk to your professor early in the semester to see whether they would be willing to oversee an Honors Option. The professor must approve the format, timeline, and scope of the project. [In WRA 101 classes, these conversations SHOULD take place within the first 5 weeks of the semester.]
    • Complete an Honors Option Agreement Form located on the Registrar’s website by selecting “Student-Instructor Forms”. [In WRA 101 classes, the Honors Option Agreement Form MUST be filed before the middle of the semester as specified in the MSU academic calendar]
    • At the end of the semester, the professor approves the Honors Option if the work was completed and the department’s requirements satisfied. The quality of an Honors Option project does not affect the grade assigned for a course; however, in some cases a minimum grade must be earned in a course before the Honors credit associated with the Honors Option can be awarded.
    • [Honors Options in WRA 101 MUST be completed by the end of the semester of enrollment in WRA 101. NO Honors Options may be pursued retroactively–that is, for courses that have been completed.] 

Who do I contact if I have an issue with my professor?

  • All issues should first be addressed with your professor. If an issue cannot be resolved by working with your professor, contact the Director of First-Year Writing, Julie Lindquist (

I need to meet with a writing professor or the writing program administrator. How do I schedule an appointment?

  • All faculty keep their own schedules, so contact them directly to schedule an appointment. Faculty contact information is available on the Faculty page.