Sarah Bowser

by | Posted April 24th, 2014

sarah bowserName: Sarah Bowser

Graduating Year: 2011

Majors/Track/Minor/Specialization: Professional Writing, Digital and Technical Track

Current Job Title: Account Lead / Business Process Delivery Consultant

Employer: Acquity Group part of Accenture Interactive

Location: Chicago, IL

What does a typical day-in-the-life look like?

I’ve been with Acquity Group for almost three years now, and have gone through a company IPO and acquisition by Accenture. In my current job role, I work for a small section of the organization doing business support for companies on our hosted and managed services platform. I am the first line of contact between our developers and system engineers and our clients. I currently work with businesses in transportation, manufacturing, retail, and financial industries.

I also have an ITIL Certification in the Foundations of IT Service Management. As a part of my job, I investigate and describe capabilities on our WCM and eCommerce solutions and recommend best practice solutions, e.g. RSS feeds and new microsite design and launch. I help to manage the incident resolution, change management and release management process.

I have done training for clients and technical contacts on support on a Managed Services based platform and I am often responsible for ensuring excellent customer experiences. The amount of writing and digital communications that I do on a daily basis is only made more successful because of my experiences with the professional writing program.

What is your advice for current professional writing students?

I think that as a student there is an impression that you need a degree in engineering or science in order to be successful, and this really couldn’t be farther from the truth. I started in the journalism program at Michigan State, but knew that wasn’t where I wanted to end up. I wanted to design layouts and fit technical pieces together as if building a puzzle, and I knew that my strongest skill set was with writing. I was ecstatic to learn of the Professional writing program, and a meeting with Danielle Devoss let me know that I had found where I belonged.

The professional writing program taught me to be a digital communication problem solver. The skills that I learned in this program helped to shape me into the person I am today and I truly believe that this gave me a leg up over my competition in the job market. The experiences I received through my internships and the program are something I wouldn’t trade for anything.

I think it is rare to find someone trained in professional writing in the industry of branding and web technology consulting (as it is largely overrun by engineering students), and the need for this type of professional is apparent.

There is no limit to what can be achieved as a professional writer. This is the greatest skill you could ever cultivate when entering into the workforce, especially when looking for a technical job.