Today, we remember one of the bravest and most influential Americans in history: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., a leader in the civil rights movement using nonviolent protest. He was also a husband, a father, a friend, a reverend. He was assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee on April 4th, 1968 at the age of 39.
Despite being taken from the world far too soon, Dr. King left behind a legacy of hope, love, progress, and peace. Below are ten inspiring quotes from Dr. King that will change your approach towards life. Thank you, Dr. King, for the words of wisdom, your sacrifices, and your bravery. You are missed.
- “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.”
- “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
- “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
- “We may have all come on different ships, but we’re in the same boat now.”
- “The quality, not the longevity, of one’s life is what is important.”
- “Whatever your life’s work is, do it well. A man should do his job so well that the living, the dead, and the unborn could do it no better.”
- “Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal.”
- “Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality.”
- “All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.”
- “We are not makers of history. We are made by history.”
All quotes courtesy of Brainy Quote.