High School Students and How They’re “Fooling” College Admission Officers

by | Posted December 3rd, 2012

Three years ago when I was starting applying for college, I kept hearing the same thing from adults I knew: “Be careful what you post on Facebook. Admissions officers look into that.”

I thought to myself, “No, they don’t. They have fifty thousand other applications to look at, why would they take the time to look into my Facebook profile?”

It turns out, in a recent article on ReadWrite, more and more college admissions officers are, in fact, checking out student’s Facebook profiles. In many cases, what they find has a negative impact on the kids who are applying to their college. Despite this, though, many students are already ahead of them.

“[C]ollege-aged students, students at other high schools, and teachers and guidance counselors say that hiding profiles under aliases is just one of the tricks students use to dodge scrutiny during the college application season. Some deactivate profiles, others amp up their privacy settings. And still others are set up a second Facebook profile they call their “ideal self” account.”

It’s easier to create a fake alias or even an “ideal self” than simply telling a college admissions officer you don’t have a Facebook. That “will raise a red flag,” as Facebook is “still popular enough” for the majority of high school and college students to have a profile.

You can read more about how social media is impacting the college admission process and applications here, courtesy of The Big Think.