Student Gives Back to Program that Once Guided Her

Senior Professional Writing major Treandra Thomas has been working for Upward Bound at MSU since last fall, but her experience with the nonprofit organization didn’t begin there.

Thomas participated in Upward Bound as a student at Grand Rapids Community College, and the program assisted her in her journey to Michigan State University.

“Upward Bound pushed me to be greater,” she said. “I was never able to become too comfortable or to be okay with not giving my best effort. I became more confident and able to speak for myself. I found my voice and was not afraid to go get what I wanted and, most importantly, I knew when to ask for help.”

Now, Thomas is taking what she has learned and giving back to the Upward Bound community.

“When I heard about the Upward Bound position here at MSU, I rushed to get my application in because it was always my dream to give back to the very program that made my life better,” she said.

Thomas is using the skills she has learned as a Professional Writing major to help students in the Lansing School District improve their writing skills. She also creates digital content for the non-profit.

“MSU gave me the skills I needed in my writing and in the way that I carry myself in professional settings. Through my classes, I have gained so much,” said Thomas, who came to MSU wanting to be an athletic trainer, but later changed to Professional Writing and will graduate in May. “I really found my true passion during my undergrad career and that helped me to go out there and get what I wanted in a job and to be confident during my sessions with the students in Upward Bound, and even in my initial interview at Upward Bound.”

I found my voice and was not afraid to go get what I wanted and, most importantly, I knew when to ask for help.

Treandra Thomas

Upward Bound is a college preparation program for high school students from low-income families and families in which neither parent holds a bachelor’s degree. The program provides the resources and support students need to be successful and to reach their goals.

“Upward Bound is an investment for the future. Children deserve to have people in their corner that will help push them to their limits and guide them in achieving things they never thought they would,” Thomas said. “This program is a blessing for not only the students, but for the staff because it gives you a great feeling when you see students you help soar.”

For more information on Upward Bound at MSU, visit their website or Facebook page.